Thursday, 17 December 2015

I'm Still Here

It's been forever since I posted on my blog. Trust me, I feel the shame. This place has been dead for some time. It's like Richard III in that way. But I'm still alive and it's time to inject some energy back into these bloggy veins. So, forgive my narcissism, whilst I tell you what the hell have I been doing with my life.

As with everyone, there are ups and downs. Things go well sometimes, other times they go a bit shitty. But it's almost the end of 2015 and god damn am I ready for the 2016 roll over. Shit is going down in 2016! Well maybe it is. We'll see. But good things will hopefully occur. Good things, with good people.

So, the main reason for the quietness of late; lots of teaching. It's been great but I've been way too unproductive with my own stuff and my online presense plummits off a cliff the minute that happens. I'm working at getting better at that, so when things get busy with projects and teaching, my sketchbook doesn't become a ghost town.

Mostly, I've been teaching with the lovely folks at UCA Rochester, but I've also been giving workshops down at University of Portsmouth for the BA Animation course and will be over at University of Brighton in January to talk to the Moving Image students. It's still a super weird thing for me. I feel old and young at the same time, both novice and professional. But it's good fun and I learn a lot purely in the act of teaching itself. I realise what shit is important because I keep repeating them to students. Check your goddam tonal value! 

All of a sudden it went from September to December and I'm back in the world of my own freelance work, which is great. I'm making my own stuff again / working for others and with others. So, more of that very soon. Hopefully some print work as well as a super cool cg animation that may happen at some point next year. Lots of pies in different ovens. Or fingers in pies? Something about pies. One is pregnancy, the other is work. I mean the work one.

This post I guess, is me saying that I'm back. Out of a rather stressful, negative time and hopefully onto more exciting things. All sorts of things. Most exciting of all, is that those things are no longer singular. I'm not really a CG artist any more, in title. I still do CG work for clients, but I also do illustration, conceptual design, animation and more. Plus teaching. That's actually what I'm happiest about most. I feel like I'm making it out of the odd post graduation blur, when you feel lost and adrift at the mercy of the world. And now I'm more certain now of what I do and what I want to do. Hence, the excitement about moving forward. It's all about the future these days. Fuck the past.

That's it from me. I've got some super cool but secretive paintings that I'm working on which I can show soon, plus some other various bits and bobs that I'll put up this week. It's lovely to be back. Hopefully I'll stay around these parts for a bit and will be posting more regularly. Just like a fully functioning adult.

Best,

Jordan


p.s. I just completed another year of self employment tax return. Which definitely means I'm a proper functioning adult now right?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jordan! I was following you when we were both making our graduate films. At the time I wanted to see how other people go ahead with their animated film making. I took almost a one year break from Blogger, and I just thought I'll look around.

    I saw the first line of your post and thought, sheit, I'm in the same boat right now. It's been so long since I posted anything, and did anything for myself (my own work and sketchbook i.e). So I'm back too! :)

    Cheers and good luck with our 2016 blogger veins! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikhita! I remember your blog from way back when we were both studying at university. I hope you have been well! Great to see you are back. Hope you can post soon to show what you are doing these days. Is your blog still "The Greedy Pencil"? I'll keep an eye out for new posts.

      Best of luck for 2016 and can't wait to hear more.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete